Roto-molded boats are a dime a dozen these days, but they’re essential to the base of the sport, particularly for sailing schools and community sailing programs, so getting a new model to standout is a challenge for companies like Topper. The boat has to be remarkably stiff, strong, fun to sail, and reasonably priced. The Argo, our judges agreed, hit on all four points. The Argo is only 14 feet, but it’s a generous 14 feet, with 6 feet of beam and a lot of volume. Its buoyancy was good, and seating, inside and on the coaming, was comfortable. With the Gnav vang, and the boom up high, it's easy to get across the boat.
In 10 knots of breeze and flat water, the judges rotated through, disembarking with smiles. “The boat moves along great,” said Allen. “The hull chine works; it heels until the chine digs and then it tracks perfectly. It’s a lot stiffer than roto-molded boats we’ve sailed in the past.”
Stewart agreed: “The tiller feels good, the boat balances nicely, and it’s lively with the spinnaker. I can see younger sailors would jump in it and have a blast.”
“It’s more than a youth training boat,” concluded Allen. “We were hiked, kite up, weight back, and the thing just ripped along. Nice and stable. I’d say it’s more of an intermediate dinghy. It can be dumbed down for lessons, but with the bigger kite, two adults would have fun with it, especially with the traps.”
DESIGNED FOR: Sailing schools, families, and getting youth sailors on the wire
REQUIRED CREW: Two to race, four to play
BEST ATTRIBUTES: Proven roto-molded construction, engineered stiffness in the hull, easy but powerful sailplan
VERSATILITY WITHOUT COMPROMISE.
PERFORMANCE, CONTROL AND COMFORTABLE CAPACITY
The ARGO is a versatile sailboat for clubs, sailing schools and recreational sailors. The ARGO can be sailed single handed, raced by two and also has comfortable capacity for up to four adult crew. The performance, power and responsive handling will impress experienced sailors; the stability will grow the confidence of less experienced sailors; while the load capacity and versatility will attract schools and families.
As soon as you step aboard you will notice how stable the ARGO sailing platform is. The ARGO has a dynamic, yet forgiving ultra-stable hull shape and an easily controllable rig that is ideal for less experienced sailors but also has years of progression built in. All-in-all the ARGO is fast and exciting but also easily controllable and well balanced.
The ARGO has a contoured side deck to provide a really comfortable sit-in feel. A low freeboard, deep spacious cockpit and high boom with boom vang above the boom for added cockpit space, plus unrivaled stability and a smooth ride mean that the ARGO is a great boat to sail.
There is comfortable capacity for up to four crew for instruction or to load up with friends and equipment for a group day out. The single line mainsail reefing system and roller reefing jib mean that the ARGO can easily be depowered dependent on crew and conditions.
Topper’s unrivaled TRILAM construction means the boat will stand up to all the stresses of training and racing and is virtually maintenance free.
The ARGO has safety features such as a mast head float, righting lines and grab rails all fitted as standard. An epoxy centerboard and rudder and the highest specification equipment also all come as standard.
Upgraded Sport Version includes trapeze system and spinnaker.
Topaz ARGO Club- $ 8,975.00 (no spinnaker, no trapeze)
Topaz ARGO Sport- $9,975.00 (with spinnaker and trapeze)
It has comfortable capacity for up to four adult crew. This could be an instructor and up to three pupils or a family of four. The ARGO is also great sailed two-up or even single handed. The really spacious cockpit and high boom and the all important extra WIDE BEAM mean the power is easy to handle and guarantee a comfortable and stable sail:
- Spacious and well equipped cockpit.
- High boom for comfort and safety.
- Gnav system as standard means the size of the cockpit is even further optimized.
- CHINE TECHNOLOGY means the ARGO keeps sailors dry when sailing.
- Extra WIDE BEAMY HULL to handle power and guarantee comfort.
- Additional built in buoyancy and freeboard ensure perfect sailing without the boat taking on water or nose diving.
- Much admired asymmetric single-line spinnaker system enables effortless launches and recoveries.
- Fantastic control systems keep things simple and are easy to use.
- Roller Reefing Jib standard.
- Trapeze option.
- Epoxy foam filled rudder and centerboard for low-weight and maximum stiffness.
- Grab rails and ‘Step On’ righting lines as standard.
- Stayed mast can be left up for quick rig/ de-rig.
- Hinged mast step and light weight mast for easy rigging by just one person.
- Optional custom designed combi-trailer for an easy-life ashore.
- TRILAM technology unique to Topper gives unrivaled strength to weight ratio and great uniformity, buoyancy, stiffness and durability.
- Three year hull warranty.
Call 1 978 263 7598 or email Jim@SailboatsToGo.com